Thursday, August 27, 2009

Joined by Kelly

It's exciting. Kelly has joined the cause! Now there are two of us raising money for the National Breast Cancer Foundation through "The Last Twenty". Kel's email is going out this week and she will soon be adding her stories to the blog.

On the progress front, I've made it through day 4 eating healthily. It looks like my first half kilogram is safely in the bag! To date, I've been sponsored $44/kg. It makes it easier to resist the afternoon munchies when you know that there's more at stake than temporary satisfaction.

Working out how to collect the money is today's challenge. With Kelly coming on board I've had to think a bit more about this.

My original idea was that I'd collect the money at the time of the MDC, but some people have offered immediate donations. To cater for this I investigated whether or not people would be able to donate the money directly to the MDC. Unfortunately they aren't set up to take donations for 2010 yet. I've considered options such as banking the money, but that adds in an administration overhead that could get messy. One option that doesn't look too bad is the "Everyday Hero" website. The drawback is that there's a 6.5% admin fee, plus a $1.10 credit card fee and a 30c transaction fee, not to mention a monthly fee of $30 for the charity to be a member. I'm tossing up whether or not I should rethink how much work there is in the admin overhead so that the money goes directly to the charity. In the meantime, I'm looking into setting up a fundraising page on the National Breast Cancer Foundation's website. It's a bit clumsy looking, but I might be able to make it work. I'll spend some time on that over the weekend.

Today's success story: I bought a sensible healthy lunch today and wasn't even tempted by the hot food in the cafeteria at work.

Tomorrow's challenge: I'm running in the morning, which means I'll be hungry. I've been eating a sausage roll on days I run, on the grounds that I've already run it off. Not tomorrow! I'll take a healthy snack to work instead. That's the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment